Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Awakening, Part II

(Continued from here.)

A plan. I'll see if I can find anything in the room that I missed the first time around; it's dark in here.

Walking around, feeling. The door's still locked shut. There's a space heater in a corner; I'd missed it before. It's off, thankfully. There's something behind it; a roll of duct tape! I take it.

I can't get through the door with this; the thing felt like solid metal. Have I missed anything? I have my clothes, that robe, the duct tape, the space heater (if I can loosen it somehow)... ah!

I check the room once more. The floor is cold and hard; it seems to be concrete. In the ceiling, though, there's an air vent; I can feel the draft as I approach it. It feels like it's blocked by... chicken wire? It's pretty low, less than a foot above my head, but the wire is in there too tightly; I can't get rid of it.

The space heater is pretty loose. I unscrew it by hand, in the dark, and try to lift it. It's pretty heavy; I'll need some leverage to smash the wire. I find the robe, which I'd dropped on the ground, and tie it around one bar of the heater. I swing it a bit, and then smash it against the wire. On the third try, I feel something give; feeling around, I pull the bent and battered chicken wire out of position.

Now what? The shaft goes up too high for me to be able to reach the top of it with my hands. I try standing on the space heater; still not enough. Perhaps if I try to use it as a grappling hook? I swing it about again, throw it up into the shaft. On the first try it nearly falls on me; the second time, however, it wedges itself in. Trying to pull myself up, though, the robe rips. I pull it back down (nearly crushing my foot), duct tape the mess together, and throw it back up. This time, it holds as I crawl into the air shaft.

What is this, a movie?

No. The shaft collapses under me; clearly, whoever designed it didn't plan to support a human crawling within it. I fall in a shower of crumbling drywall; I'm lucky to escape anything worse than bruising. I'm outside my cell, but now I'm in some sort of dimly-lit corridor; still unfamiliar, with no sign of where I am or who brought me here.

What now?

2 comments:

Kelsey Higham said...

This remind me of adventure game I play once on computer

is soo coool

D McGhie said...

This is fairly predictable yet unpredictable.