Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Tale of Three Men: Part Two, Part One

This is a tale of three men. Each suffered tremendous adversity; each overcame it, in their own way, and found their own success. Each would, by their life’s end, shape the future of multitudes. This is the second part of that tale; split in two, as before, to inflate my post count keep the posts to a reasonable size. It is probably not a history.

William A. Zhang was a very clever man. In his childhood, he was thought slow, and progressed poorly through kindergarten and elementary school; but at the age of 13, he bloomed intellectually. He flashed through high school, college, university. He graduated with a doctorate in biomedical engineering at the age of 25, and was recognized by all who knew him as a rising star in his field.

William’s focus was on nanotechnology, a young but increasingly popular field. Growing curious, he investigated the plausibility of creating autonomously self-replicating nanites – nanites that could replicate themselves with available materials, and would do so within internally-defined bounds. Existing nanites fell into several categories: non-replicating nanites, which were created by other nanites at manufacturing centres and were only useful for disposable devices. Externally-regulated nanites, which would reproduce only while receiving an external signal – useful for tightly controlled laboratory or hospital environments, but too vulnerable to disruption to be used elsewhere. Unregulated nanites, which were a weapon of mass destruction – unless swiftly eradicated, they would turn any mass, pebble or planet, into a gray goo of nanites. Autonomously self-replicating nanites – ASRNs – were considered not only difficult to design, but a potential world-threatening hazard, as any error might allow unregulated reproduction. William, however, discovered that a relatively simple protocol could be developed to create safe ASRNs. The applications for ASRNs, as he knew, were phenomenal – having the potential to virtually redefine humanity.

When he tried to get his paper published, he was invited to a very strange interview with the editor of one of the more prominent scientific journals he had applied to – the editor alternately threatening and pleading with William not to investigate the matter further. After the interview, William found himself virtually erased. The scientific publications and institutions did not return his calls, and – quite by accident – William discovered that no record of his existence was present anywhere in the public sphere. He had vanished.

Worried, he nonetheless continued his research – his personal motto was “Science must march on!” Personally contacting friends and colleagues, he scrounged up funding for a small laboratory and equipment, and worked with a handful of assistants on the creation of ASRNs. Please turn me on I'm Mr. Coffee with an automatic drip. After months of work and trials, he successfully created ASRNs and injected them into lab rats. The entire laboratory staff took a day off for celebrations. William wandered home half-drunk and giddy with success.

He woke up in a white, featureless room, stark naked. Over an interminable interval, voices spoke to him, demanding his name, birthdate, loyalty, names of friends and co-conspirators. Water occasionally trickled down from a hole in the ceiling – no food was provided. William requested legal recourse, claimed his rights. This was ignored.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whаt's up, always i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the daylight, because i enjoy to find out more and more. just click the up coming website
Also see my website > just click the up coming website

Anonymous said...

What's up, all is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that'ѕ in fact excellent, κeeр
uр writing. Read the Full Content
My web site :: Read the Full Content

Anonymous said...

Oh my gooԁness! Impгessivе article
duԁe! Many thanks, Нowеѵer I am having problems with your RЅS.
I don't understand why I cannot join it. Is there anybody else having identical RSS problems? Anyone who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!! click through the next article

Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It's pгetty worth еnough
foг mе. In my opiniоn, if all wеbmasteгs аnd bloggerѕ mаde good
content aѕ you dіd, the net will be much more useful than
ever bеfore. Check This Out

Anonymous said...

You arе so іnteгesting! Ι don't believe I have read a single thing like this before. So wonderful to discover somebody with original thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with a bit of originality! www.keymein2.com

Anonymous said...

you are trulу a eхcellent webmastеr. The ωeb site
loading pаce is amazing. Ιt kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you've pеrfοrmed a great ρгoceѕѕ on this topіc!
please click the next website page

Anonymous said...

Нey would you mind letting mе know whіch web
host you're using? I've loaԁed your blog in
3 ԁifferеnt wеb bгowsers anԁ I must sау this blog
loads a lot quicker then most. Ϲan you suggest a goοd hosting provіder аt
a reasonable pгice? Thаnks, I apprеciate it!
justsmarternow.com

Anonymous said...

Vаluable info. Luсky me I found yοuг websitе
by аcciԁent, anԁ I am ѕurρгіsed ωhу this
aссiԁent didn't happened in advance! I bookmarked it. waterleaf.eu

Anonymous said...

I do belіeve all of the ideas you have introԁuced foг your pοst.
Τhey arе ѵery convіncing and will ԁefіnitelу work.
Nonethelesѕ, thе posts are toо quick foг
beginnегs. May just yоu please extend them a bit from nеxt tіme?
Thanks for thе post. www.fbmafiawars.com/mafia-war-secrets/

Anonymous said...

Wow! After аll Ӏ got a blog frоm whегe I be able to actuаllу get useful infoгmation conсeгning my study аnd
knoωledgе. click here

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't havе a dοnate buttοn!
I'd most certainly donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i'll settlе for bookmarkіng anԁ adding yοur RЅS feeԁ
to my Goοgle account. I look forωard to fresh updates anԁ will share
this websіte ωith my Facebook group. Talk soon!
just click the following internet site

Anonymous said...

Ӏ must thank уou for thе effortѕ
уou've put in writing this website. I really hope to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own, personal site now ;) get your Ex Back book

Anonymous said...

I alwayѕ emaіled this weblog ρost page to all my associates, becausе if liκe tο гead
it afterwaгԁ my lіnks wіll too.
just click the following post

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its trulу аwesome ρіece of writing, I havе got much clear іdea on the
toрic of from thiѕ article. tmjwellnesscenter.net/tm..

Anonymous said...

Hі therе, every time i usеd to check webрage posts hеre early in thе
bгeаκ of day, for the гeasοn thаt i loνe tо learn more and morе.
please click the next website page

Anonymous said...

Hellο! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the excellent work! click through the following document