Monday, July 20, 2009

I Dreamed - And - What I Saw There!

This was not the first time I had walked through a dream, but it was the first time I met another already there.

Strange lights ghosted and fluoresced about us as we approached each-other. My hands were empty, as were his; but I knew from long experience that a weapon could appear in my hand at the speed of thought. Or, likely, in his. I kept myself tensed, ready.

"Who are you?" he asked.

I made no answer. To do so would reveal more information than I need to - weakness. Cautiously, facing him at all times, I began to side-step, trying to circle around him. (My goal was close - I could feel it!) The ground shimmered and shifted under my feet.

The pinky on the other's right hand twitched. A crevasse opened up under my feet - hastily, I leapt back, a pistol appearing in my hand. Another chasm opened to my interlocutor's opposite side - the only way past, now, was through him.

"Who are you?" he asked again, his tone unchanged.

Already, I regretted having produced the weapon - it was weakness, showing my hand before I had to. But to dismiss it would only exacerbate the error. Instead, I decided to speak - to see if this strange entity could be manipulated to my advantage. Best to understate my interest here - if a price were to be charged, best it be a minor one...

"What interest do you have in stopping me?" I asked. "I am but a traveller, passing through."

"I have taken this mind under my own protection," the other said. "And there is nothing you could seek past me that would not be harmful. Turn back."

Problematic. Still - best to understate the urgency of my task here. It would be a crippling blow, to be stopped here - and the best way to avoid that would be to give no sign of that truth! "Perhaps we can come to some agreement," I suggested. "What price are you paid for this guardianship? If it is not too high, I may be able to improve on it..."

But the other simply glared at me, his face cold and unapproachable. "Do you think my honour worth so little as that?" he asked. "I will not be bought or bribed. Turn back, you petty half-rate automaton!"


Then I woke up. It was just a dream! How silly of me. I got out of bed and went to the butchers shop to pick up some meat. I bought a tenderloin of beef. Then I went to the local farmers market to get some hard cheese from the vendors. When I got home I lightly seared the meat of all sides, sliced it thin, and then dressed it with lemon and olive oil, and shaved some of the cheese over it, and I put a salad I made earlier in the centre. It was quite tasty.

Another post ended by the infinitely-talented Mr. Zhang. Applaud him! Truly his works are most marvelous.

I may revisit this notion later; the approach I took here didn't work.

No comments: