Friday, September 14, 2007

Jason Jones Westward

Jason Jones was arguing with his father. "I need to do this," he told Mr. Jones. "I'm the only one who can, maybe: there may be a reason that those slicing creatures I told you about didn't attack me, while... while they killed everyone else. If I stay here, they may come again, and things would be even worse."

Mr. Jones looked skeptical as he leaned back in the lounger. "And there's your fear of the police, too."

Jason nodded. "Well, yes, but that's not the main thing. The police may learn... some things I don't really feel comfortable about, but the real threat here is from the centaurs and the slicers and whatever else is out there, attacking people."

Jason's father answered, "I'm not certain if I really believe all this about the centaurs, and the slicers, even though I saw too much of it myself. But... you think they came from China, from one comment the chieftain made, right? China is a pretty big place. Surely you don't think you can search all of it yourself."

Here Jason was on firmer ground. "I've done some searching since I got back. When I look for stories of things like what's been happening around here, everything - well, mostly everything - points toward Manchuria, in northern China. That's still a pretty big area, but I figure that once I get there and start poking around, I can start finding out more about these creatures pretty quickly."

Mr. Jones sighed. "A lot of guesses, isn't that? No, don't answer me." He stood up and walked over to the computer. "After the deaths, and the exposure of the centaurs, there's going to be a lot of people here soon. Media, FBI, CIA, the works. And they're all going to want to know where you are." He beckoned Jason over, and turned around as he approached, scrupulously looking at a blank wall on the other side of the room. A plane-ticket buying site was on screen, with everything filled out for a one-way flight to Manchuria and ready for purchase. Jason clicked the 'buy' button and printed it. His father continued, "I didn't buy you a plane ticket, or see you get one." A wallet full of cash lay on the desk next to the computer; Jason picked it up. "I didn't give you any money, or see you get any." Jason's father turned around and gave him his cell phone, which he'd entirely forgotten about. "I called a cab to the airport, but I don't remember why. And I seem to have forgotten your cell number, funnily enough. Keep it charged, would you?"

Jason was overwhelmed. "Thanks, Dad," he said with true gratitude in his voice. They walked toward the door together.

Mr. Jones looked at Jason, seeming to appraise him for some virtue or flaw of character. With no clear verdict visible on his face, he said "I have a few last things to say to you. The others... I didn't really tell them about this. They may call you. You'll have to decide what you want to tell them." He paused a moment, organizing his thoughts. "You do realize that when your mother suggested that we send you to Manchuria, it was a joke, right?" Jason nodded, but his father didn't seem to expect an answer. "And... I know I may have given your some... bad examples in the past, but violence doesn't solve everything. It... sometimes it hurts more than it helps. I..." Not a man of great eloquence by nature, he seemed to have run out of words.

Jason, on the front porch, hugged him and said, "Maybe." Then he got in the waiting cab as his father turned his face away. The driver accelerated, and Jason Jones's home receded into the horizon.

-

Hours later, as the plane readied for takeoff, a large blue parrot landed on the wing of the jet, right next to Jason's window. He looked at it. Quietly, he told it, "Hello there, little bird. You're a long way from home - but then I think you've been away for a while, haven't you?" The bird seemed to nod. On its head, Jason saw a thin wedge of red feathers, pointing upwards. Jason looked at it for several seconds more, trying to see anything else odd - but then it seemed to have enough as the jet started its engines and took wing. For a moment, it was tossed about in the backwash of the engine; then it recovered and soared upwards, flying to the west. Jason watched it until it vanished into the blue.

End Arc Two.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Aw, our little Jason's all grown up.

D McGhie said...

He's going to China.