Saturday, August 08, 2009

Two stories are told to my youngest cousin, just four years old. For the first, I attempt (more-or-less by his request) to teach him about the planets. He gives up by Jupiter. The second - pointing to a painting of an old rusty car hanging on the wall, one of my grandmother's, small-cousin inquires as to what causes its state. Swiftly, my father & grandfather leap into action, telling him of how my uncle (young-cousin's father) borrowed the car & reduced it to such a state in just three weeks, returning it to my grandfather to be repaired. My uncle looks on wryly; young-cousin is delighted. Entertaining lies are our family's favourite product.

Of course, I once persuaded a young-cousin (on the other side of the family) that President Lincoln was a) a character in the New Testament & b) sixteen feet tall, so I can hardly stand innocent in the matter.

Ahhh, good times.

No comments: