Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Diaries of Sir Arthur McKinsey

Diary Entry on the afternoon of August the Twenty-Fifth, the year Eighteen Seventy-Four Anno Domini.

Today has been absolutely splendid! I woke up this morning fresh and early, breaking my habit of lazy slumbering which I have (deplorably) acquired of late - this early rising being due in large part to my brother, the honorable Chaplain McKinsey. We enjoyed gentlemanly entertainments together, being in part composed of playing a game of our own devising in which one alternately assembles blocks into specific shapes, and then shatters them. Quite entertaining, if I do so myself - in this manner we occupied ourselves for the better part of the morning. The hours entirely flew by - each time I looked at my pocket-watch it seemed another had passed. Remarkable, and quite beneficial to my mood.

I had two meetings scheduled that day. The first was from a young lady named Erie (spelling uncertain - Aerie?) - not Erin, as I had been informed. She worked for an organization connected to my brother, in a manner of which I was uncertain, and was here to be certain that my brother and I were well accomodated in our current dwellings - being unused to the style in which we now lived. We assured her that all was well, my brother in his own taciturn manner, myself somewhat more verbosely, as is my own habit. She was scheduled to be here for forty-five minutes - I showed her around the place, further assured her of our comfort, and kept her for no more than twenty-five. Certainly, though, she was a very pleasant guest, and if I were to see her again it would be nothing less than my delight.

For some hours I occupied myself with readings on two subjects of which I had recently become interested - M. Dean's 'Real Life', an illustrated diary, and M. "Elemental" (a pen name, I'm sure)'s investigation of the 'Undying'. Both quite occupying, in their own ways, and enough to keep me busy until the third strike of the hour, at which time I ventured to the restaurants nearby - there having made another appointment.

There was some uncertainty in the arrangments, those having been both casual and nonspecific - I was unsure at which establishment I would find the lady with whom I was to meet. Therefore I was glad to see her on the street, perhaps looking for me as well! After a moment's deliberation, we went together to some Eastern establishment - "Yoghurtland", it was named, and she seemed more familiar with it than was I - and spoke while she supped outside. (My own stomach was full, having cooked a lovely batch of broth for the luncheon shortly after the departure of M. Erie.)

Our conversation may have disappointed my lady-friend - she had mentioned that she believed in horoscopes, her own for the day predicting a conversation that began superficial and ended deep - the latter a condition that I think never truly applied to the one we had. Still it was lighthearted and fairly entertaining. Largely it focused on the lady's choice of employment, she having presently found lawful work in the employ of "Pier One", to her delight, though we strayed to other topics as it suited us. Among them were the subjects of books - she mentioned that she read works of the fantastical, of which I have quite a collection, and that she presently was quite low on things to read. I suggested that we retire to the residence - it being but a minute away by foot - and she agreed, finishing her 'yoghurt' and taking her carriage over.

Upon arriving, I gave her a tour - with the pets she was delighted, as was M. Erie, though her affections focused more on our hound, CHAOS, then had the earlier guest. The garden impressed her, though I will admit that my horticultural knowledge showed some weakness - still I was able to identify and locate many interesting plants for her entertainment. She met my brother, briefly, entered my library (also serving as my bedroom, for lack of space) to select books (of which I found her many quality selections - requiring of her an address, that I might reclaim the books when the time was ripe) and meet my beloved cat, who looked at her with disdain, as is the nature of a cat.

She had claimed that she must return when the clock struck four - this being that time which she had promised to certain others - but later demurred, and played that game of blocks which I mentioned earlier. She found it entirely delightful, to my own satisfaction, and seemed neither overwhelmed nor under-. When she left, books in hand, all was perfectly cordial between us.

Quite a lovely day - and still a crocodile-party awaits! What more could be asked for?

No comments: